Current employment opportunities:
Director of Youth and Service
Overview of the Position
As a church we deeply value the act of service to all God’s children. We seek a fulltime professional to work with the congregation to encourage people of all ages to grow in their faith using their time, talents, and spiritual gifts to live out God’s love. We currently have a small but consistent group of children and teens. Our goal is to inspire and grow this group as we minister to the next generation of faith through the integration of youth into our well-established spirit of service.
· Create and implement age specific programing for youth and families: Sunday School (infant-6th grade), Confirmation (middle school), Youth Group (middle/high school), College, Parent, and cross-generational ministry.
· Recruit, coordinate, lead, and guide adult and youth helpers for programs, activities, and special events.
· Coordinate participation in special events such as Vacation Bible School, an annual mission trip to Baja California, Mexico, and regional and national youth gatherings.
· Seek to integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
· Collaborate with the Social Ministry team, pastor and church leadership to discern direction and vision for FLC’s service work in the church, local community and global context.
· Recruit and guide involvement by all ages in congregational service projects, especially with respect to youth participation. Examples of current of current special service project are: “God’s Work Our Hands” a Sunday morning spent outside the church walls doing direct service, “Safe Space”, a rotating temporary homeless shelter that takes place at FLC one week during the winter, “Rise Against Hunger”, a meal-packing event, ELCA, synod and churchwide Global Mission, including partnering with a congregation in Rwanda.
· As an active member of the congregation, with the pastor and worship director be a voice for youth and families in the planning and implementation of worship, focus on integrating/incorporating all ages into worship leading and participation, as well as connecting our worship in the sanctuary with our service in the world.
· Collaborate with ministry teams to create and manage budgets for service work and youth ministry.
· Share with the congregation and community the stories of faith in action through print and online media.
Skills and Knowledge
· Have good communication and interpersonal skills to relate to all age ranges
· Be an engaging teacher
· Be a self-motivated leader capable of casting and imparting vision for ministry
· Be able to recruit, train, and lead volunteers to discern and use their spiritual gifts
· Be able to recruit, train, and lead children and youth to be full participants in the community
· Be able to work efficiently and effectively with the church staff
· Be able to pass a background check
$40,000 salary plus benefits; four weeks paid vacation, paid time and budget for continuing education.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please submit a lesson or activity you have done with either a preschool, elementary school, or high school age group to Karen Avis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin June 20th.
About Faith Lutheran Church and Chico, CA
Faith Lutheran Church is a vibrant, Spirit-led faith community committed to living out our faith through worship, learning, service to our neighbors, and by pursuing justice, reconciliation, and wholeness for all. We value the talents of our members and seek ways to include and empower each person to live out God’s love for their neighbors. Chico is a beautiful university town located at the base of the Sierra mountains and surrounded by orchards. The 3,670 acre park in the center of town is the heart of Chico, California State University is its pride, and the Sierra Nevada Brewery/Headquarters is its joy. With an average annual temperature of 75 degrees, an average commute time of 17 minutes, and a location right off the I-5 between Portland and San Francisco that serves as an ideal stop for touring bands, Chico offers the best of California living without the headaches. The congregation has an average Sunday attendance of 160 and is composed of the professional demographics that reflect the main economic bases of the town: academia, farming, and medicine. We are people who love learning, love the land, and love the Lord. For more information visit: chicofaithlutheran.org